Monday, January 14, 2013

This really STINGS! My Bees are gone ...



This really stings!

After a very mild Autumn & Winter I discovered my bees have died of starvation. It is a costly lesson for me and I can't help but think that there might have have something I could have done to help them. It's a tuff lesson after enjoying watching the growth of the hive over the spring and summer months.
I have photos from the months when I didn't post which I will add soon.

It's a rough situation. Failed my first year of bee keeping. The only good news is that my new package of bees will not have to build comb at the beginning of the spring season and can concentrate on building the population right from the get go. Hoping for a great 2013. Hoping for a sweet as honey year for everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Sad to hear about yer bees, we were devastated when we lost one of ours, it was full of moths, but also dried out bee carcases with their heads in the cells, licking up the last of the honey.
    Chin up and try again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonas. Sorry to hear about the your bees as well. As they say, mother nature is a cruel mistress. I'm looking forward to Spring and a new colony of bees. Good news is they won't have to build up as much comb. Hope you are well and the bees are buzzing on your side of the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear it Gee. I hope 2013 works out better for you.
    This explains those stingers you were throwing at me the past few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ronald, and sorry for throwing those stingers at you ... especially the ones I dipped in salt water for the added sting.

    ReplyDelete